One of the most difficult problems faced by the visually impaired, especially those with complete loss of sight is the ability to move from place to place and through unexpected obstacles. This has been a challenge for years.
To address this major challenge, the WeWALK Smart Cane was developed. The smart cane was developed by Kursat Ceylan, who is a 34 year old blind man from birth.
This smart cane uses recent technologies to provide an interactive and user-friendly experience that vastly improved upon the earlier white cane used for navigation by the blind.
Asides from improving the functionality of the previous long white cane, the WeWALK Smart Cane did not make much changes to the physical design.
Table of Contents
How the Device Works
WeWALK Smart Cane uses an ultrasonic sensor to detect obstacles above chest level. The device is equipped with built-in speakers, smartphone integration and sensors that warn users of impending danger or obstacles via vibrations.
It is made of an electronic handle with a regular analog white cane embedded at the bottom. Also amazing is the fact that users can pair their smartphones with the cane to combine it with a Voice Assistant and Google Maps. The device then uses its built-in speakers to inform the user of nearby stores and infrastural details that they (users) can not see.
All these functions can be accessed directly from the canes touch pad, thereby eliminating the need for a phone in one hand and a cane in the other hand.
This device runs on Android and iOS-based mobile phones. It has a USB port that can be used to charge the devices battery. When fully charged, the device can last up to five hours.
- Users can move from place to place on their own without being directed by someone or a dog
- They are more aware of things in their environment as the device can tell them about shops, infrastructure and obstacles around them.
- It is not heavy and as such, can be held by almost any individual.
- It is a bit expensive.
- It is prone to malfunction and could pose a threat to the user if this happens.
- It requires money for maintenance and repairs should it go bad.
For more information checkout the official website.